Namely, should a pie be frozen unbaked or baked? Many experts state simply that it is better to freeze an unbaked pie than a baked pie. They claim that the baked filling and crust goes through a transformation during baking that makes it perfect for eating, but not for freezing.
Is it better to freeze a pie before or after baking?
Homemade pies are a delicious dessert that can be prepared ahead of time, frozen and then baked when you want a very special dessert. … It is much better to freeze pumpkin and fruit pies before baking rather than after. The texture of pies suffers substantially if frozen after baking.
How do you freeze homemade pies?
For best results, first bake the pie and then place it uncovered in the freezer. When completely frozen, wrap the pie tightly or place in a plastic freezer bag and place back in the freezer. Frozen, baked fruit pies will keep up to 4 months.
Do you freeze meat pies cooked or uncooked?
The baked Meat Pies can be frozen and reheated. Note: The uncooked Meat Pies can be frozen. Freeze uncovered and then put in an airtight container and return to freezer.
How do you freeze pies?
How to Freeze a Pie
- Step 1: Assemble. Put together the pie as if you were going to bake it in the oven.
- Step 2: Wrap. Place the unbaked pie in the freezer, uncovered, until slightly firm, which will only take about 2-3 hours. Remove the pie from the freezer. …
- Step 3: Freeze. Return the wrapped pie to the freezer.
Can I freeze unbaked meat pie?
Both baked and unbaked pot pies keep the quality of the filling for four to six months in the freezer, even though the quality of the baked crust suffers. Both types stay safe indefinitely if your freezer stays at or below 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
How do you store pies after baking?
After baking, pie should be left at room temperature as the cooling process normally takes 2-4 hours. Within 4 hours, the pie should then be placed in the refrigerator. Cover loosely with plastic wrap until serving. Pie may be refrigerated for 2-3 days.
What is the best way to freeze an apple pie?
- Write today’s date, Baked or Unbaked Apple Pie and Use by date 6 months from now on a freezer quality storage bag.
- Place the pie into the bag, close the seal.
- Place the pie into the freezer on a flat surface, sitting level.
- Freeze for up to six months.
How do you make frozen pies taste better?
Graham crackers, animal crackers and little wafer cookies all work well. Throw a few handfuls of cookies and some granulated sugar into a food processor (about 3 parts cookies to 1 part sugar), and grind until fine.
How do you freeze pies after baking?
How to Freeze a Baked Pie
- Bake as directed and allow to cool completely.
- Place the pie in a freezer bag; seal, label, and freeze for up to 4 months.
- To serve, thaw at room temperature.
- If you wish to serve your pie warm, after thawing, bake in a preheated oven 425°F oven about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
How do you cook frozen uncooked meat pies?
Large Meat Pies Frozen uncooked
From frozen: (do not thaw) Preheat your oven to 325. Place frozen pies on a baking sheet and bake for 90 minutes or until golden brown.
What is the best way to freeze a meat pie?
Wrap the entire pie carefully with plastic food wrap, then put it in two layers of zippered freezer bags, squeeze out all the air, and put in the freezer. I like to use it within 2 to 3 months, but it will last in the freezer up to 4 months.
Can I cook a butchers steak pie from frozen?
Can you cook a butchers steak pie from frozen? Cooking guidelines: If your pie is frozen, then defrost it thoroughly (we suggest that you leave it in your fridge overnight to defrost). … Cook for 30 to 40 minutes at 200 deg C (gas mark 6), in order to reheat the stew and cook the pastry.