A Line Cook, or Prep Cook, plates dishes and completes basic food prepping tasks for a restaurant. Their main duties include preparing and cooking food in a specific station, cleaning up prep areas and making sure the kitchen is stocked.
How do you describe Line Cook on a resume?
Line Cook responsibilities include:
- Setting up and stocking stations with all necessary supplies.
- Preparing food for service (e.g. chopping vegetables, butchering meat, or preparing sauces)
- Cooking menu items in cooperation with the rest of the kitchen staff.
What skills do you need to be a Line Cook?
- Skilled prep work. In a professional restaurant kitchen, line cooks prepare each component of the menu’s dishes in advance of the busy meal service. …
- Cooking expertise. …
- Organization. …
- Cooperation. …
- Time management. …
- Ability to follow instructions. …
- Knowledge of safe food handling procedures.
What is the job description of a grill cook?
Your primary responsibilities are to receive and cook food orders given by customers, keeping track of specific orders, cooking meat to specified rarity, and timing dishes to come out around the same time.
What is the difference between a cook and a Line Cook?
Short order cooks typically work in restaurants or coffee shops where food is made and served quickly, while line cooks work in larger restaurants and only cook one part of a meal.
What education do you need to be a line cook?
There are no specific education requirements for a line cook, but many restaurants will require a high school diploma or GED. A lot of learning is OJT (on-the-job training). And a culinary school diploma can be very valuable when looking for a cook job, especially at high-end restaurants.
How do I get started as a line cook?
To become a line cook, you likely need a high school diploma or equivalent. Though some jobs require an associate degree or culinary school certificate, many line cook jobs will provide on-the-job training.
Is a line cook a chef?
A chef de partie, station chef, or line cook is a chef in charge of a particular area of production in a restaurant. In large kitchens, each chef de partie might have several cooks or assistants. In most kitchens, however, the chef de partie is the only worker in that department.
How much does a grill cook make an hour?
The average hourly wage for a Grill Cook in the United States is $14 as of July 28, 2021, but the salary range typically falls between $13 and $18.
What are the ranks of chefs?
The Kitchen Hierarchy: Career Options in a Restaurant Kitchen
- Executive Chef. …
- Head Chef (Chef de Cuisine) …
- Deputy Chef (Sous Chef) …
- Station Chef (Chef de Partie) …
- Junior Chef (Commis Chef) …
- Kitchen Porter. …
- Purchasing Manager.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a server?
Restaurant Server duties and responsibilities
- Provide excellent customer services.
- Greet customers and present menus.
- Make suggestions based on their preferences.
- Take and serve food/drinks orders.
- Up-sell when appropriate.
- Arrange table settings.
- Keep tables clean and tidy at all times.
- Deliver checks and collect payments.