If you are able to safely reach the knobs on your grill, turn off the grill’s burners. Then remove the food and smother the flames by throwing baking soda, sand or kosher salt over it. Close the lid and any grill vents to further starve the fire of oxygen.
What to do if grill catches on fire?
How to Extinguish the Grill Flames Safely
- If your gas grill catches fire, the first thing you should do is attempt to turn the burners off. …
- You can also close the grill lid, as a lack of oxygen will help to ease the fire and slow it down.
- Use a fire extinguisher to extinguish the flames using the P.A.S.S.
How do you stop a gas grill fire?
Throw salt, baking soda, or sand onto the fire to smother the flames. 3. Close the lid. Make sure all grill vents are closed to further starve the fire of oxygen.
Will a grease fire burn out on a grill?
Consistent cleaning of the cooking surface and the inside of the grill greatly decreases the risk of a fire. Without proper cleaning, heated grease can accumulate, liquify and vaporize, which can ignite a fire. If this happens, turn off gas and leave the lid open to let grease burn off.
Can you use baking soda to put out a fire?
Pour on Baking Soda – Baking soda will extinguish grease fires, but only if they’re small. It takes a lot of baking soda to do the job. Spray the Pot with a Class B Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher – This is your last resort, as fire extinguishers will contaminate your kitchen.
Are flare ups bad when grilling?
Additionally, big flare ups can be dangerous grilling mistakes too – you don’t want to potentially set a fire. Flare ups are usually caused by fat dripping out of your meat, so to avoid this, trim off excess fat during your initial prep work before starting your grill.
Does a fire extinguisher ruin a grill?
If the grill was sprayed with an ANSUL (common household dry chemical) extinguisher all you need to do is pressure wash to clear all the powder off. The powder is a mild corrosive and will damage your grill if left on. Carbon dioxide extinguishers leave no residue so you don’t need cleaning anyway.